Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Leaving kids alone in cars...

Sorry everyone, but I am on a tangent right now...
Last evening while we, as a family, were out weeding our veggie garden, we got a knock on the door. It was a couple of Qwest salesmen...
They asked me if I knew our neighbors and that there was a baby, alone, in the truck parked in their driveway. I, kindly, said that I didn't want "any" and went over and heard the baby crying in the carseat-covered up with blankets. It was early evening, like I said, around 7pm but warm.
Mommy mode kicked in and I got a little freaked out. Of course the truck was locked so I knocked on my neighbors door. No one came. I let myself into their backyard and found them with their adult children and grandchildren all around a table eating and talking....and not knowing their baby was screaming in the car in the front.
I'm sure I wasn't too good at hiding my anger, but I tried to kindly say "YOUR BABY IS CRYING!!!"
The mom said, "Oh, did he wake up?"
I left, not wanting to make any comment that might offend. When I walked out the gate, my neighbor was getting the baby out. He was red in the face, had a very runny nose and puffy eyes. I bet he was out there for a bit but who am I to know for sure.
There are too many babies dying needlessly because of this very thing. There was an incident in a city not far away from ours where the baby had fallen asleep, the mom was carrying in groceries and literally forgot her baby was in the car.
Truthfully, I have done that too. Thankfully, I didn't discover anything bad. Now, even though Abby is asleep, I carry her in. I know I would be just like that mom and forget...thinking she was safely tucked away for her nap upstairs.
When this mom remembered, hours later, she found her sweet baby dead. It was only an 85 degree day.
Please moms, don't leave your kids in cars alone! Even older kids! It is so not safe!!! Not to mention you could get in trouble with the law.
My husband was at the grocery store just down the street and he heard a little boy, probably 3, screaming in a car parked in the parking lot. The windows were down a smidge but he was red faced. Other people started crowding around and asking if anyone knew who the parent was. Someone called the police. The police were there when the mother came out of the grocery store.
No matter how quickly you think you will be in and out, it is not worth your children's lives. Cars heat up so quickly, even with the windows down. This doesn't just count for kids either, animals die all the time from the same thing.
I'm sorry for my opinionated-ness but to all moms, coming from a mom. Please don't leave your kids in cars, even if they are asleep!
Here is a web site I found that gives you some statistics that took my breath away!
I love you all, and I love your kids!

http://www.harrisonshope.org/