Monday, June 9, 2008

To Drive or Not to Drive...

NOW THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!

Should we really have to ask that question? To say the least, I am so bugged with the price of gas. I only fill up about every 2 weeks. I am a stay at home mom, now I literally STAY HOME. The kids want to go swimming...sorry guys but I can't afford the gas its going to cost to drive us to the pool.
Ok, so its not that bad but really, who wants to go anywhere.

Here are a few news clips:

"Since the end of March, skyrocketing oil prices have pushed up retail gasoline prices by more than 20%, so that prices at the pump hit records every week. ..." Wall Street Journal

NEW YORK (Reuters) - "A gallon of gasoline is costing U.S. drivers a record $4 on average at the gas pump, and prices are likely to keep rising if soaring crude oil prices do not retreat from record highs, according to an industry analyst on Sunday."

"Higher gas prices are crippling consumers and businesses, and squelching the U.S. economy, which is already under pressure from higher food prices, job losses and sinking home values." (Reuters)

Sorry everyone, but my anxiety ridden mind is freaking out! And grocery shopping, my goodness, a gallon of milk costs as much as a gallon of gas. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?

Is there nothing we can do? (other than not drive?) While these oil companies are recording RECORD PROFITS, the lower and middle class consumers are struggling to even make it to work with how much it costs them to drive there.

I think I am going to look into a tandem bike with a double wide 4 seat stroller that attaches to the back. Or wait, I can get a rickshaw and really run off the pounds carting my kids to all their various activities. My 38lbs will just melt away.

Maybe I could buy a horse and buggy. The Amish do it, and they get where they need to go with no problems. Of course, most of the places they go are within their own little community. Maybe our neighborhood can start up a bakery, buy some farm animals to share, and get rid of all our electricity sucking equipment. (How do the Amish vaccuum?) Maybe they don't have carpet? If they don't use electricity, they for sure don't use microwaves. But wait, what would I do without blogging? What would I do without my computer, and email?

See, this is where my mind takes me, my stinking anxiety. Before I know it, I have put us in a cardboard box, living in a gutter and eating out of trashcans.

Is gas really that necessary? Does anyone have any suggestions and how to combat this problem? Is it just me?

It seems that everywhere we go, grocery store, soccer games, softball games, church people make sarcastic comments about how much gas costs. Its no joke to me folks.....but I also recognize the sign of the times. Its better to be prepared for the storms of life, because we can not escape them. Its how we deal with them, and rise above them and move forward that matters. Its not just about enduring, but enduring WELL.

Whew, what a relief to get that off my chest, out of my mind and out into blogger space. Comment if you have an opinion, frustration or solution. Or just comment and tell me I need to get a grip. Sheesh, don't I know it!