Monday, June 16, 2008

FUNNY STORY...for me and Hailey anyway

So there we are, walking down the trail, at the top of Kolob Canyon. Paul and the 3 younger girls were a bit ahead of us, Hailey and I were bringing up the rear. (I broke my baby toe and was walking like a....anyway, not walking like I normally would)
The day was perfect, sunny and warm. As I am climbing over a few rocks in the path, I hear a buzzing noise over my head. It sounded just like one of these:

You know how their wings beat at the air so fast that it makes a humming noise? Probably why they are called "humming" birds... DUH!

I crack myself up sometimes.

Anyway, I say to Hailey, "Whoa, something big just buzzed over my head!"

Hailey, of course, ignored me.

So, we keep walking. She is about 5 feet in front of me when all of a sudden 2 big (silverdollar size) flying black bugs fly between us, and hover. Hailey had her back to me so I said: "Hailey, turn around."

She turns around and shrieks, "OH MY GOSH!!!" and takes off running down the trail. As she is running away, she looks back to see that one of them has tagged along and screams again, "ITS FOLLOWING ME!!" and frantically tries to lose it with flailing arms and zig zag manuevers.

I am laughing so hard, and at the same watching these flying mutant bugs. One of them decides to hang out around me for a second and then flies behind me. (like maybe its trying to catch me off guard so it can TAKE ME TO IT'S LEADER)

I turn around to look at it, and I SWEAR it had 6 black beady eyes. It was gigantic. It dive bombs me, and then is gone.

I am laughing so hard, trying not to pee my pants and trying to catch up with Hailey. I described it, between fits of laugher, to Paul who just nods his head like "ya, right"

So I have devoted a few hours on google to figure out what those grotesquely large flying, black round bugs could have been. I guess they could have been a beetle, but they were round, like a large marble. Not elongated.

Their wings were just a blurrr.

It could have been this:

Because it truly was as big as that. It is a great memory because of the laugh I got watching Hailey run faster than I have ever seen her run even on the soccer field.

And its even funner to tell it because I laugh all over again and my imagination runs wild with thoughts of an alien insect species...

GOOD TIMES!